>

The Kashmir challenge

More
12 Aug 2019 13:02 #374298 by chairman
Muhammad Amir Rana August 11, 2019

YET another intifada is on the cards in India-held Kashmir (IHK), which many believe would have a far-reaching impact on the geopolitical landscape of the region. While the international community is still assessing the probable responses by India and Pakistan, non-state actors are also closely monitoring the situation and exploring the spaces to exploit.

The Indian revocation of the special status of occupied Jammu & Kashmir has shut down almost all prospects for it to resolve the issue through dialogue, either with the Kashmiri leadership or with Pakistan. One wonders if India did not have any alternatives other than what it has already demonstrated in the form of strict security measures, communication blackouts, and draconian administrative measures to run the affairs of J&K.

The use of some counter-violent extremism, or CVE, terms like ‘reintegration’ and ‘mainstreaming’ by India’s policymakers and political circles suggest they consider the entire IHK population to be radical. Apparently, India is missing the mega blueprint to absorb the shocks of the measures it has taken to ‘fix’ the Kashmir issue once and for all.

Obviously in the absence of such plans, an intifada would be blamed on Pakistan. This would be an easy way out for India, but would come at a cost. Not prepared to counter the Indian move to revoke the special status of IHK, Pakistan is also confronted with a delicate challenge. However, an even more critical question for Pakistan is how to respond to the emerging intifada.

The dynamics of the insurgency in India-held Kashmir will be different this time.

The new intifada will have different characteristics from earlier movements. While it will mainly comprise nonviolent political expression, violent emotions will also be there. Emotions are running equally high amongst pro-independent, pro-Pakistan and ultra-radical segments of the resistance movements in occupied Kashmir. They can resort to violent actions separately or form an alliance to increase the impact of the intifada.

It is not certain how many members of the banned Jaish-e-Mohammad and Lashkar-e-Taiba are present in IHK and what the level of their operational capacity is. But groups like Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, an affiliate of Al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent, are gradually making inroads into the ultra-radical militant movements in Kashmir. The AGH is also against Pakistan. The group is trying to convince other armed groups to form an independent jihad alliance against India. Recently, Al Qaeda head Ayman al-Zawahiri had endorsed this idea. In this context, Kashmir-based armed groups like Hizbul Mujahideen will also be under intense pressure to reorganise their operational structures.

These groups can trigger a long-term resistance movement in IHK. Pakistan is morally and politically bound to support the Kashmiris. However, supporting the resistance movement will have serious consequences for Pakistan. The poor state of Pakistan’s economy, internal political crises and struggling diplomacy are factors which will limit active support to the resistance movement in IHK.

The IMF and FATF swords are hovering over the country’s economy. The world at large, including friends and foes of Pakistan, are least receptive to violent resistance movements. India knows this, and its media and opinion makers are highlighting this point continuously. India has chosen the best time for revoking the IHK special status when Pakistan is facing multiple challenges and trying to regain its geopolitical importance through facilitating the peace process in Afghanistan.

Pakistan has remained a scapegoat for US failures in Afghanistan. Similarly, India has always blamed Pakistan for its own failures in IHK. But the situation is different now, and it could be difficult to keep the escalation of tension at the LoC and Working Boundary to manageable levels.

Meanwhile, the dynamics of the insurgency in Kashmir will be different this time, where Pakistan will not be in a position to influence the resistance movement. As a result, Pakistan-India tensions could at anytime turn into conventional warfare; Prime Minister Imran Khan has already indicated this in his parliamentary speech. How can Pakistan avoid this situation?

Pakistani and Indian diplomatic confrontation has remained confined to two unrelated domains: Pakistan has focused on internationalising the Kashmir issue, while India exploits the militancy aspect. While India has played its cards effectively during the last several years, Pakistan is just on its way to regaining its diplomatic strength, not only through facilitating the Afghan peace process but also by acting against all shades of militant groups. There are apprehensions of a turnaround, although it seems complicated this time because of all the factors mentioned.

The leaders of sectarian and militant groups are trying to establish their relevance in the changing situation. Some audio, video and text messages are circulating in social media groups in which they are declaring their support for the Kashmir cause. They have not yet received a response from the state and media. Even the reactivation of forums like the Difa-i-Pakistan Council is not apparent; this was an alliance of small radical religious and political parties that could bring the people to the streets on such critical regional issues.

Pakistan’s changed approach can become its strength. The international community can see that despite the presence of extremist groups in the country and an emotionally charged environment, Pakistan has not allowed the radicals to hijack the issue and create spaces for themselves. This approach will help Pakistan win the trust of the international community and internationalise the Kashmir issue.

India will certainly have to face the consequences of the emerging intifada. But Pakistan should evolve a political and diplomatic strategy to stop India from holding it responsible for the uprising, and to prevent Delhi from resorting to ‘infiltration’ and ‘terrorism’ mantras to discredit the intifada. It will not be an easy task as India has already made inroads and gained support among allies of Pakistan over the last decade. The ‘militancy’ card has caused considerable damage to Pakistan’s economy and diplomacy, but India has now provided it with an opportunity to reverse the process.

It is an opportunity and demands unity from all segments of society, and from the political and security leaderships. It is time to put political vendettas aside and concentrate on the Kashmir cause. A protracted political crisis will only spoil the opportunity.

The writer is a security analyst.

Published in Dawn, August 11th, 2019

Always tell someone how you feel because opportunities are lost in the blink of an eye but regret can last a lifetime.
cricketwindies.com/forum/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2019 13:26 #374300 by ketchim
India has closed all the doors and blocked all the paths

these groups will ignore the Imran Khan led government .....

Back a man against a wall with NO exit, that man becomes a Desperado

and Desperate men will seek Desperate measures....

they better don't get hold of the Nuclear weapons ........

More
12 Aug 2019 13:54 #374305 by chairman
this division will never be fixed

Always tell someone how you feel because opportunities are lost in the blink of an eye but regret can last a lifetime.

More
12 Aug 2019 14:02 - 12 Aug 2019 14:03 #374307 by ketchim
The British made that Boundary line to :

Divide and Rule...

India is playing to the script from british Independence day ~

AND India will not have another separation !

Heck, they have not still gotten over the 1st separation by Jinna ~
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 14:03 by ketchim.

• mapoui
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2019 14:26 #374315 by mapoui
fuck them..let them blow demselves to bits. who cares. I did. I changed my mind.

the will irradiate a big part of Asia, screw the BRI and the Zionist will win..and I mean Win. Russia will be screwed too and will be forced to make deals with he empire. the empire will gobble he whole planet and is wood for the people of the world.

if the world thought the Gulag Archipelago was the ultimate in human torture...den aint seen nutten yet. wen dem Zionist and dem take over every child will be fucked..no 2 ways about it. Bill Clinton, and dat Einesteen fella will come out of hiding..both will run children school systems

More
12 Aug 2019 14:50 #374319 by ketchim
This situation has to be solved !
obviously they will NOT want another country to be formed like say, Bangladesh
BUT that would be the ideal solution ....

• mapoui
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2019 16:46 #374328 by mapoui
self determination, self interest, subjectivity on an individual and collective base is the bed rock of all relations and issues. if its nation or a region it always comes down to what the people concern want.

that's it..period end of story.

SO HOLD A GOD DAM VOTE..GIVE THE PEOPLE ENOUGH TIME TO DEVELOP THEIR UNDERSTANDING THEN VOTE.

LET THE PEOPLE SAY WHEN THEY READY TO VOTE..SOON OR LATER. MAKE SURE THE VOTE IS LEGIT AND GO BY THE RESULTS AND THAT ALONE.

the had a vote in Kashmir..from all reports it was a legit vote. A MAJORITY MUSLIM PEOPLE VOTED FOR PAKISTAN BUT INDIA WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT RESULT.

so there you have it..India has imposed itself on the situation in a most ridiculous way. India will have to leave at some point. there is no doubt about it. Indian will have to leave or it will have to wipe the Muslims and replace them with Indians.

that is unacceptable. if India begins to do that Pakistan will have to intervene and there we go.

there is bound to be war because Indian will not accept the outcome of the popular vote..will hold no further votes and will not accept the creation of an Independent country. all Indian will accept is its domination of a region that does not want is over-lordship

so a billion odd people are going to die over that piece of land. makes no sense at all.

all that Indian could possibly want can come from deals and treaties giving the region its independence or inclusion into Pakistan. if Pakistan absorbs Kasmir it would not change the relationship of the two countries to each other one iota.

but they are neighbors tied together anyway by that fact, trade, exploitation of raw materials, all manner of contact would have to be developed anyway. the parties involved will all get their cuts regardless..if the discussed it and made deals..mutually beneficial deals

skunt lunatics

More
13 Aug 2019 14:51 - 13 Aug 2019 14:52 #374387 by ketchim
“ Do you think this is the democracy India claims to be? People are angry. Look around, there are only military

people sitting and watching.I want the government to restore our rights and let us decide our fate.”

Her friend Afreen said that “she feels really scared to see so many security people.

Can we really say that it’s the day of Eid in Kashmir today?”

Altaf Ahmad, 43, a cleric in a mosque in central Srinagar, is also upset. “This is a day of deep sorrow for us.

I have never seen this kind of Eid in my whole life. There is no sacrifice, no celebration,”

“Eid is such an auspicious day for us. It’s a day when we offer a sacrifice to Allah.

But we did not offer any sacrifice today as a mark of mourning.” he said.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 14:52 by ketchim.

More
13 Aug 2019 14:56 #374388 by chairman
Is Kashmir india,S OR PAKISTAN

• mapoui
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2019 22:55 - 13 Aug 2019 23:17 #374401 by mapoui
Kashmir is for the Kashmiri. they are to decided their own fate. they decided already.. many times - always Pakistan or independence. it is insane imperial-minded India who cant be satisfied.

what is India's interest in Kashmir...define it comprehensively, clearly, totally. and when that is done follow it up with the next logical question: HOW BEST CAN THAT INTEREST BE ACHIEVED WITHOUT INDIAN MILITARY DOMINATION AND THE CONFISCATION OF A LAND AND A PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT INDIA, DO NOT WANT TO BE INDIAN, FIGHT RESOLUTELY NOT TO BE INDIAN FOR 70 YEARS NOW

that is the answer..sincere comprehensive negotiation by India with the intent to reach a solution and have it implemented, and adjusted when necessary over the time to come. India..Pakistan and the Kashmiri around a table talking, deciding.

and when deh done India leaves for fuck sakes, the deal is implemented.. whatever of the Indian interest India manages to accomplish at the table is implemented.

that is the way to go. nobody ever gets all they want..unless they hold people down and rape them.

you try to get all you want but in the process you have to compromise or get nutten...or get war: the person or people fighting back tooth and nail..and a whole lot of god dam expense over time in lives and money, terrorism, no security and one disaster after another

India cannot win in Kashmir no matter how long it takes. India simply wont win. 70 years and India has not won... so when then?

so negotiate India..talk with intent to solve.. and so solve the god dam problem that India itself caused/causes
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 23:17 by mapoui.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
ketchimEid Mubarak !(10.04.2024, 08:58)(08:58)0
ketchimGuyana Win the U-15 with Adrian Hetmeyer !(04.04.2024, 13:28)(13:28)0
ketchimU-15 Guyana Hetmeyer doing great !(01.04.2024, 22:35)(22:35)0
JaniyahCenturies for Tagenarine Chanderpaul and Tevin Imlach against Windward Islands in Antigua on day three.

Guyana declared on 224-2; Windwards need 420 runs to win.

Scorecard: https://matchcentre.windiescricket.com/match/13df0ffb-dfc3-4d3a-94bd-17426751e07c/scorecard

#cricnation592 #Guyana #TagenarineChanderpaul #TevinImlach #cricketnews #cricketlovers
(22.03.2024, 17:54)(17:54)0
JaniyahGuyana 436 all out, Permaul 90*,Anderson 87, Sinclair 72, Imlach 55, Chanderpaul 40.Roach 2/52, Jason H. 2/52, Warrican 2/98.(14.03.2024, 18:23)(18:23)0
MadisynThe United States will send a new military aid package for Ukraine worth $300 million, President Joe Biden's administration said on Tuesday, the first such move in months as additional funds for Kyiv remain blocked by Republican leaders in Congress(12.03.2024, 20:23)(20:23)0
ketchimRamadan BEGIND tonight !(10.03.2024, 12:52)(12:52)0
SawyerHeavy gunfire near Haiti's National Palace in Port-au-Prince(09.03.2024, 19:34)(19:34)0
MadisynBiden Signs $460 Billion Spending Package, Averting Government Shutdown(09.03.2024, 18:57)(18:57)0
MadisynGaza ceasefire talks end with no breakthrough as Ramadan deadline looms(05.03.2024, 07:05)(07:05)0
SawyerPutin ally says 'Ukraine is Russia' and historical territory needs to 'come home'(04.03.2024, 18:56)(18:56)0
MadisynJetBlue, Spirit Airlines call off $3.8 bln merger on antitrust hurdle(04.03.2024, 18:50)(18:50)0
ketchim165 not out ~(24.02.2024, 17:38)(17:38)0
ketchim1658 to Kevin Sinclair ~(24.02.2024, 17:38)(17:38)0
ketchimKane Williamson(16.02.2024, 12:22)(12:22)0
ketchimKanw 133 not out !(16.02.2024, 12:21)(12:21)0
CatherineHow Do I Know I’m Not the Only Conscious Being in the Universe?(13.02.2024, 10:33)(10:33)0
CollinI am writing to express my sincere gratitude for the information that you have provided on your website. I have found your site to be an invaluable resource of information, and I have learned a great deal from the articles and resources that you have shared.(11.02.2024, 13:05)(13:05)0
Collinbla... bla... bla...(11.02.2024, 13:05)(13:05)0
Collinthis was Sixes....semis next !(11.02.2024, 13:04)(13:04)0
CollinThe article is really good. I found here looking for a good article because my heart was empty. There are a lot of different articles, so reading them makes me feel a bit empty. Next time I want to read an article about ... please(11.02.2024, 13:04)(13:04)0
CollinThis blog post resonated with me on so many levels. Your personal anecdotes and real-life examples added a relatable touch to the topic. I could feel your passion and expertise shining through every word. I'd love to hear more about your experiences and insights on [related topic]. Thank you for sharing your blog wisdom and inspiring others in the process!(11.02.2024, 13:03)(13:03)0
CollinThis is very fascinating, You are an excessively skilled
blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to in quest of extra of your magnificent post.
Additionally, I’ve shared your website in my social networks
(11.02.2024, 13:01)(13:01)0
CollinVoucher to najlepsza forma prezentu dla ukochanej osoby. Taki bon podarunkowy, czyli voucher, czy też kartę podarunkową, możemy dać bez stresu ponieważ daje on możliwość wyboru w momencie korzystania, a to dla wielu osób jest najważniejsze. Kup voucher, spraw radość bliskim osobom i nie martw się, że prezent będzie nietrafiony.(11.02.2024, 13:00)(13:00)0
CollinMasaż jest to metoda leczenia znana od wielu lat. Zapraszam do salonu. Kliknij w podany link: drenaż limfatyczny Kielce(11.02.2024, 12:59)(12:59)0
CollinWitam. Piekny blog i opisy. Ja polecam Forum Kosmetyczne(11.02.2024, 12:58)(12:58)0
ketchimthis was Sixes....semis next !(03.02.2024, 16:22)(16:22)0
KennediSo our yute did nt make the semis because of a washout. These global contests should set aside rain days for teh semis and finals.(02.02.2024, 19:44)(19:44)0
CatherineConfirmed by Cricket West Indies that West Indies will play a County XI side in a four-day warm up match at Beckenham in Kent starting 3rd July(31.01.2024, 19:51)(19:51)0
AugustineStep Aside Sir Joffra Archer and Kagiso Rabada..
Shamar Joseph has Arrived !!!
? ? ?
(29.01.2024, 13:43)(13:43)0
ketchimAfter 27 years, a VICTORY !(28.01.2024, 13:48)(13:48)0
ketchimWest Indies brat Australia by 8 runs : Guyana Shamar 7Fer !(28.01.2024, 13:46)(13:46)0
Niko2nd Test, West indies 266/8, Da Silva 79, Hodge 71, A.Joseph 32, Mckenzie 21, Chanderpaul 21, Sinclair 16 not out .(25.01.2024, 08:26)(08:26)0
ketchimexcellent Win : Jewel 64*(24.01.2024, 11:38)(11:38)0
KareemGuyanese fast-bowler Isai Thorne took 4-46 from nine overs as West Indies restricted Scotland to 205-9 from 50 overs at the ongoing ICC Under-19 World Cup in South Africa.

This a must-win match for West Indies after they lost their opening match to the hosts by 31 runs.

(Photo: Cricket West Indies)
(24.01.2024, 10:27)(10:27)0
KareemKevin Sinclair will replace Gudakesh Motie in the second Test match in Australia.

This was confirmed by Captain Kraigg Brathwaite on the eve of the GABA Test.
(24.01.2024, 10:04)(10:04)0
MarthaVirat Kohli withdraws from first two Tests against England citing personal reasons.
BCCI has requested media and fans to respect Virat Kohli's privacy during this time and refrain from speculating on the nature of his personal reasons.
(22.01.2024, 10:57)(10:57)0
AlondraDat Jawbreaker from Joseph reminds me of Marshall !!(19.01.2024, 08:26)(08:26)0
ketchimFirst ball DUCK but was Hazlewood !(18.01.2024, 14:48)(14:48)0
AlondraTage to face(16.01.2024, 19:35)(19:35)0
AlondraStarc has the ball(16.01.2024, 19:29)(19:29)0
AlondraRally(16.01.2024, 19:29)(19:29)0
ketchimAustralia win Toss and chose to field(16.01.2024, 19:19)(19:19)0
ketchim6:30 p.m. EST(16.01.2024, 17:09)(17:09)0
ketchim1st TEST : 6>30 EST....this evening ....Australia time is tomorrow lol(16.01.2024, 17:01)(17:01)0
chairmanWest Indies U19s clapped up New Zealand U19s in the warm up game.

Nathan Sealey, Joshua Dorne and Jewel Andrew the star turns.
(15.01.2024, 07:42)(07:42)0
ketchimMatch Draw but 105 to DaSilva and 99 to Kavem Hodge.....so good warm up match result !...(13.01.2024, 13:15)(13:15)0
ketchim251 - 8(10.01.2024, 12:59)(12:59)0
ketchimMotie and Sinclair not out ~(10.01.2024, 12:56)(12:56)0
ketchimWarm Up match and couple of boys made DUCK 8 down for 232(10.01.2024, 12:55)(12:55)0
Camden
Go to top