>

West Indies Cricket
Join Today

French Fries Anyone

More
06 Nov 2018 16:27 #366512 by mapoui
www.blacklistednews.com/article/69105/gm...impact-on-human.html

Of all the genetic engineers who have renounced the technology—Arpad Pusztai, Belinda Martineau, Thierry Vrain, John Fagan and Michael Antoniou, among others—because of its shortsighted approach and ability to produce unintended and potentially toxic consequences, Caius Rommens' story may be the most compelling.

Rommens was director of research at Simplot Plant Sciences from 2000 to 2013 where he led development of the company's genetically engineered Innate potato. But over time, Rommens started to have serious doubts about his work and worried about potential health risks from eating the GMO potatoes, which are now sold in 4,000 supermarkets in the U.S.

Rommens' concerns about the GMO potato led him to write a book, Pandora's Potatoes, which was recently published. The book is a case study on how a scientist's initial enthusiasm about genetic engineering turns to doubt and fear as he realizes the hazards the technology can create.

I recently interviewed Caius Rommens about his work developing the GMO potato and the misgivings he now has about it.

Please describe your work developing GMO potatoes and your position at Simplot.

Caius Rommens: I left my position as team leader at Monsanto to start an independent biotech effort at Simplot. During the 12 years I worked there, I designed a genetically modified potato that I believed was resistant to bruise and late blight, and that could be used to produce French fries that were less colored and less carcinogenic than normal fries.

The main genetic engineering of the Simplot GMO potatoes as described in your book was silencing genes called RNAi. What are some of the possible negative consequences of silencing genes?

CR: Silencing is not gene-specific. Any gene with a similar structure to the silencing construct may be silenced as well. It is even possible that the silencing that takes place inside the GM potatoes affects the genes of animals eating these GM potatoes. I am most concerned about bees that don't eat GM potatoes but may use GM potato pollen to feed their larvae. Based on my assessment of the literature, it appears that the silencing constructs are active in pollen.

You say that silencing the PPO (polyphenol oxidase, a gene responsible for browning in potatoes) gene increases toxins that accumulate in the GMO potatoes. Why are these toxins produced and what effects could these toxins produce on human health?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2018 10:59 #366532 by ketchim
Forbes Burnham aka Kabaka BAN potatoes in Guyana circa 1970

massive outcry from de aloo curry and potato roti fellahs ! :whistle:

More
07 Nov 2018 11:39 #366536 by mapoui

ketchim wrote: Forbes Burnham aka Kabaka BAN potatoes in Guyana circa 1970

massive outcry from de aloo curry and potato roti fellahs ! :whistle:

well mek dem grow deh own potato..as in getting clean seed and planting those... and deh cud develop a clean hybrid from that that grow well in BG

when man ban tings is opportunity to you know. mek noise but go grow yuh own. the market is yours if you do dat. and forrin man cyant poison you with' he food if you gron yuh own

More
07 Nov 2018 12:41 - 07 Nov 2018 12:45 #366539 by ketchim
hundreds of trials but none took
even try de soil in the mountain region ...fail
SO no local aloo pie lol
www.stabroeknews.com/2017/news/guyana/05...g-imports-narei-ceo/
Guyana imported 10 million kilogrammes of potatoes in 2016 at a cost of US$4.989 million.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2018 12:45 by ketchim.

More
07 Nov 2018 12:48 #366540 by ketchim
agriculture.gov.gy/2017/04/07/irish-pota...favourable-progress/
my personal favorite : Irish
close 2nd is PEI Gold !

More
07 Nov 2018 13:22 #366545 by mapoui
ahhhh. good going, di'ze wat I mean. something boung to ketch up..something has it seems

is the world...everything can grown everywhere. you jess have to keep trying.

but man I doan know why we buss we arse over aloo so much. I prefer dasheen and tania, eddoes..any day of the week or month

More
07 Nov 2018 16:26 #366554 by ketchim

mapoui wrote: I doan know why we buss we arse over aloo so much. I prefer dasheen and tania, ddoes

me too !
but an aloo ball (GT) or an aloo pie (TnT) ....I also crave with mango or tamarind sour! lol

More
07 Nov 2018 17:21 - 07 Nov 2018 17:23 #366556 by mapoui
I agree..aloo pie and mango/tambrand sauce is a fine taste. cud not live without that in Titty.

but is years and years now I ent have it and its not a problem. in the meantime I have had my ground provisions same way.

I wont eat aloo now for any reason save I in the west indies and we grown we own and its cleansed of all pollution and engineering
Last edit: 07 Nov 2018 17:23 by mapoui.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
Go to top