• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2016 09:13 #308558 by Chin
Keen to play
Published on Jun 16, 2016, 11:00 pm AST
By Roger Seepersad
roger.seepersad@trinidadexpress.com

READY FOR CPL RETURN: Nicholas Pooran.Photo: DEXTER PHILIP

Trinidad and Tobago’s Nicholas Pooran was the youngest player to feature in the inaugural edition of the Hero Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 (CPL) in 2013, and he turned a few heads with a debut half-century. The 20-year-old is looking to turn a few more on his return to the tournament, after missing out last year following a career-threatening vehicular accident which kept him on the sidelines for most of 2015. Picked by former champions Barbados Tridents for the fourth edition of the tournament, Pooran wants to surprise all and create some more good memories in what is now known as “the biggest party in sports”. “I am really excited to play in the CPL again,” he told the media earlier this week.

It is a wonderful tournament. My main goal will be to help the team win the tournament.” Speaking about his comeback, Pooran said it was a lot of hard work and sacrifice, and after a successful season on the domestic circuit with Queen’s Park Cricket Club, he is now ready to return to the big stage. “Since I was out, everyday I was doing therapy and training and I put on some weight, so right now I am trying to lose it. I have been training day in, day out, night and day, to try an reach back to where I was (before the accident),” said Pooran. In his first season with the Parkites, the Port of Spain club won all three domestic competitions—the three-day (format) league and the 50-over and T20—with Pooran playing an integral part in their success.

He was the match-winner in their come-from-behind victory over Alescon Comets in the T20 final when he kept a level head to hit an unbeaten 56, guiding his team to a close three-wicket win. “For now, I am in good nick and you know I have had some good memories at CPL and I have also had some bad memories at CPL. I want to create (some more) good memories in CPL this year,” he said. “When I got into the accident, I had leg injuries and people thought I might not be keeping or playing again. It is a lot of work I did, and I thank God that I am back wicket-keeping again and playing normal now. “I just want to surprise everybody and show them how far I came. I have been doing some work with David Williams, so hopefully I will do well in the CPL,” Pooran added.

www.trinidadexpress.com/20160616/sports/keen-to-play

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2016 14:23 #309036 by chairman
hopefully he makes a big splash

Always tell someone how you feel because opportunities are lost in the blink of an eye but regret can last a lifetime.
cricketwindies.com/forum/

More
14 Jul 2016 14:04 #312269 by TRINIDADDY
Just watched the highlights of Pooran batting with ABDV.

Poorwan was excellent. I'd play him as our international T20 and ODI keeper. I love his range of shots, and he's very nimble on his feet (and with the gloves).

More
14 Jul 2016 14:28 #312270 by Smoking Joe
Nicholas is a good talent and I hope his handlers keep him on the right track. I have seen too many young talents led astray.

More
05 Aug 2017 16:10 #347964 by ketchim
Guess he ain't ready yet  ::)

stink up Lauderhill, Florida : caught Jonathan Foo ! 

Santokie to Pooran, OUT, full and very wide, Pooran tries to lift over cover but his bat

turned and the ball went high up in the air due to his mistimed hoick

and FooFoo the fielder at third man region does the rest !

More
08 Aug 2017 16:32 #348202 by ketchim
Another DUCK

last night game  :-[

More
08 Aug 2017 16:35 #348204 by Googley
Joe been smoking too much!  ::LOL::

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Go to top